Our VNSNY Heritage
VNSNY CHOICE is proud to be a part of the Visiting Nurse Service of New York, the largest not-for-profit home- and community-based healthcare organization in the United States.
VNSNY has been part of the fabric of New York City since 1893. That’s longer than the subway system, before the Yankees and only 10 years after the Brooklyn Bridge opened.
VNSNY itself was founded by Lillian Wald, the first public health nurse, to provide care for the most vulnerable New Yorkers. While patients’ needs may have changed over the years, VNSNY’s commitment to those who need care hasn’t. Its programs are designed to help patients improve their quality of life, and to reduce the number and length of hospitalizations.
In 2016, VNSNY provided nearly $47 million in charitable care and community benefit programs, which included $9.6 million to provide free and discounted direct home care services to more than 8,600 under- and uninsured New Yorkers.
VNSNY also offers Hospice and Palliative Care services as well as private home care services through its affiliate, Partners in Care. The VNSNY Research Center is the only national organization of its kind, dedicated to conducting scientific investigation to promote high-quality, cost-effective care in the home and community.
VNSNY’s Four-Fold Mission
- To promote the health and well-being of patients and families by providing high-quality, cost-effective health care in the home and community
- To be a leader in the development of innovative services that enable people to function as independently as possible in their community
- To help shape health care policies that support beneficial home- and community-based services.
- To continue our tradition of charitable and compassionate care, within the resources available.
Three guiding principles underlie this Mission:
Commitment to the VNSNY Community
- To achieve the best possible outcome for each patient.
- To embrace a customer-service philosophy.
Commitment to VNSNY Employees
- To exhibit respect to our colleagues.
- To work together as a team toward common goals.
Commitment to VNSNY as an Organization
- To ensure the organization’s long-term financial viability.
- To maintain the highest ethical standards.