How to Apply for Medicaid
You can request an application for Medicaid by phone, by mail or in person through your local department of social services (LDSS). VNSNY CHOICE representatives can help you understand if you are eligible, and then guide you through every step of the application process.
You can also complete the application yourself by going online to the ACCESS NY Health Care website and following the instructions at: https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov.
- Proof of age, like a birth certificate
- Proof of citizenship or alien status*
- Four weeks of recent paycheck stubs (if you are working)
- Proof of your income from sources like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Veterans (VA) benefits, retirement, Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB), Child Support payments
- If you or anyone who lives with you is 65 years old or older, certified blind, or certified disabled, you need to give information on bank accounts, insurance policies and other resources
- Proof of where you live, like a rent receipt, landlord statement, mortgage statement, or envelope from mail you received recently
- Insurance benefit card or the policy (if you have any other health insurance)
- Medicare Benefit Card (the red, white and blue card)